The Writing Center offers one-on-one tutoring for all Temple students on any writing project. For international and ESL students, we also offer a "conversation partners" program through which students can develop their skills in listening and speaking in English. Additionally, we offer writing groups and writing retreats. Please see our website for more information about all the services we have.
Writing tutoring is the service that most students use. You can come for tutoring if you want help getting started on a paper (ie. before you have anything written); help developing and organizing a paper; or help polishing and correcting the sentences in your paper.
If you are a non-native speaker of English, you may want help with writing, reading, listening, and/or speaking in English. Our tutoring service and our conversation partners service are designed to help you.
Tutoring and conversation partners sessions are available in the following ways:
- Drop-in Sessions: Come into the Writing Center on a first-come, first-served basis. Sessions are approximately 25 minutes long. Be aware that there is sometimes a significant wait for drop-in sessions, especially during midterms and finals.
- Appointment Sessions: Visit our website to schedule an appointment with a tutor or conversation partner. Appointment sessions are approximately 45-50 minutes long. If you are more than ten minutes late for your scheduled time, you forfeit your session. You can reach our appointment schedule through our website.
Writing tutoring is also available in the following ways:
Was this answer useful?
- E-tutoring Sessions: Schedule an asynchornous (i.e. not in real-time) e-tutoring session and submit your draft through our online scheduling system found on our website.
- Online tutoring Sessions: Schedule a live, online tutoring session, complete with video and audio. Upload your paper at the start of your session and meet with a tutor online. You can schedule an appointment on our website.
- Read-ahead Tutoring: If you are working on a long paper and you have at least 15 pages of text in hand, you are eligible to use this service. Go to our website and complete an online request for read-ahead tutoring, and send us a copy of your draft. You tutor will review your paper in advance and will meet with you for up to 50 minutes to discuss your work.